If you have requested a full agreement, we will contact you within 21 days of your application. We will discuss your proposal with you, including any details that may need to be changed. Within the southern part of the water, there are approximately 39,000 kilometres of public sewers, some of which have been moved within the boundaries of the land. As sewer manager, Southern Water is responsible for the maintenance of these pipes. In order to comply with legislation relating to the management and diversion of public sewers, it is necessary that anyone wishing to develop land or expand their land be consulted with Southern Water to determine its requirements for the management of lateral effluents or sewers that may be affected by their construction proposals. If you can build above or near a domestic channel 160 mm in diameter or less and show that your plans pose a low risk to the pipe, we may be able to grant a self-certified construction agreement. If the sewers involved require a diversion (do not replace the existing line), you must apply for Section 185 at Southern Water Services: developerservices-test.southernwater.co.uk/SewerDiversion/ApplicationForm We may need to conduct additional searches for sewers larger than 375 mm in diameter. This may delay the authorization. Learn more about the process. If you are building within three metres of a public canal or one metre from a public side sewer, you will need our permission before starting work. Public sewer “Mapped” are those that appear in the public sewer map maintained by your local water and sanitation company, which you can visit and inspect. You can also talk to a real estate search provider, including our Property Searches team, to order an Asset Location Search for your property. There is a tax for making this available.

If your extension/building project is not subject to the building code or if you are not in a protocol area, the instructions below will help you complete the building declaration application. If your proposals meet the requirements of the self-certification authorization of over-construction, this will be provided by letter. See tables below. The maps identify the location and size of known public pipes and the water pipe in the locality of the land or property. However, many previously private sewers do not appear in our archives. So if you are applying to build above or near a canal, we often need to give you details about nearby sewers and wells. Construction of a public (low) or lateral flow channel on (or nearby) I accept that this application does not grant planning or building code approval for the proposed extension. It is only when Southern Water Services has given written permission that no work should begin on site. I agree that for the purposes of the Water Industry Act 1991 and the Data Protection Act 1998, the information provided to this application and all accompanying documents may be kept, for all intents and purposes, electronic or other records, such as computer systems and their employees and agents, in connection with the company`s legal water and wastewater companies.