The date of separation in a divorce in Pennsylvania is important for two main reasons: Q. Why is a marriage agreement important? If you live separately and apply for divorce, you may be entitled to sped assistance while the divorce is concluded. This is called “alimony pendant lite” or “likey, pending litigation.” While you are waiting for a divorce, your spouse may need to pay you for things like food, housing and the cost of living. This is only ordered in cases where it is necessary and only for the spouse who earns less money. Talk to a lawyer about what you might be entitled to during the lite. Perhaps the most definitive method of determining a separation date in Pennsylvania is to file a divorce complaint. The law assumes that the date of separation is the date on which the divorce application is filed, unless a party can set an alternative date. A separation agreement is a legal document that binds you together for many years and determines your rights, obligations and responsibilities from your marriage. You and your spouse can amend the agreement if you agree to both changes; it may be amended by a court order, unless the agreement explicitly states that the agreement is not subject to judicial amendment. Nevertheless, the court can still amend the provisions of an agreement on custody and custody of minor children. Back up Another way to set a separation date is the behavior of a party, for example. B moving the marital residence or perhaps even just moving to another bedroom and general information that the two parties are now separated.

In the AP, the date of separation is determined by the time you stopped behaving as a married couple. This could include, but not limited to, things like sleeping in separate rooms or extracting, separating bank accounts, meetings with other people, etc. There is no specific rule. Theoretically, you can collect marital support for an indefinite period or as long as you can fetch under PA law. If a divorce application is filed later by you or your spouse, if a divorce agreement is signed and the court adopts a final divorce decree, the spouse`s assistance ends. Although a Pennsylvania judge cannot order you to pay child`s family allowances at university to cover their education/life costs, you can make arrangements in a separation contract for college fees, and it will be a binding and enforceable contract that the court may require from each of you.